Saturday, July 10, 2010

Finishing Monday

Yes, I am just still working on what we did Monday. After Tintern, which I reiterate was amazing, we had a few issues. The wrong destination had been put into our GPS (Gypsy). We ended up going up this tiny, steep steep road with cars coming toward us and coming up behind us. We wanted to turn around, so we went up this even steeper and smaller road, and got a little stuck. However, with the help of a very nice woman (who may have been afraid for the safety of her house) we managed to get turned in the right direction. Our poor very brave driver is driving a manual, a van and in Britain all for the first time! She was a little stressed out.
After heading the right direction we went to Monmouth. The castle was the birthplace of Henry V, but there's not very much left so it was a bit of a let down. However, there was this awesome tree:
After Monmouth we went to Rhaglen Castle, which after a week is still one of my favorites. It is an absolutely gorgeous, ruined building. One of my favorite things about it is that you can see where fireplaces and doors would have been in the exposed walls. Walking around these castles, history becomes practically tangible.





I still have one more castle from Monday to write about, but once again my internet it not loading pictures well so I'm going to have to postpone. However, the rest of the week should go faster- I didn't take as many pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment